dance with my father

Back when I was a child
Before life removed all the innocence
My father would lift me high
And dance with my mother and me and then

Spin me around till I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved

If I could get another chance
Another walk, another dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end
How I’d love, love, love to dance with my father again

Ooh, ooh
When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way I would run from her to him
He’d make me laugh just to comfort me, yeah, yeah
Then finally make me do just what my mama said

Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet
Never dreamed that he
Would be gone from me

If I could steal one final glance
One final step, one final dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end ‘
Cause I’d love, love, love to dance with my father again

Sometimes I’d listen outside her door
And I’d hear her, mama cryin’ for him
I pray for her even more than me
I pray for her even more than me

I know I’m prayin’ for much too much
But could You send back the only man she loved
I know You don’t do it usually
But Lord, she’s dyin’ to dance with my father again

Every night I fall asleep
And this is all I ever dream

the late luther vandros wrote this song together with richard marx, as a tribute to his late father somewhere in 2003/4. luther and this song won a number of grammies in year of 2004, including best R&B vocal performance and song of the year. in the tribute album to him titled 'So Amazing', by quite a number of big names, this song recorded back by Celine.

beautiful work, i guess. it suites to my 'Light&Easy' fm list like Buble's 'Home', John Mayer's 'Daughters', Josh Groban ' To Where You Are' and Robbie's 'Eternity'.

i think 'So Amazing' is in my wishlist now. hehe.

Popular Posts